The Unexpected

Being really disappointed with my narrow-minded client, I turned to Facebook to give my mind a break and there he was. Teacher was online and I decided to say hi.

CP: How are you doing? :(

T: Okay ne. Why de sad face?

CP: I had a really, really bad, bad day with my client.

T: Wanna have dinner with my Mum and Yan Yan?

CP: Ha? Dinner with you guys? I paiseh ler...

T: No need to paiseh.

I drove out and met up with them but not forgetting to stop by the Chinese medical store to get some herbs and salted plums. His mother was not feeling well with some coughing. Once, I used to have regular Sunday dinners with him and his mother. Whenever I get the chance, I would buy some snacks or light meals and pay her a visit at her store. I have always enjoyed her company and the idea of secretly treating her like my own mother.

Dinner was awkward, I spoke to his mother more than I did to him and tried my best not to make eye contact. But it was brief, dinner has always been quick and really early for them. When I first met Teacher, it took me a while to get used to their routine. But for today, I was really glad it did not last.

After dinner, Teacher told me to walk to his car. That he has something to give me. I accompanied his mother, walking slowly while making conversations and suddenly, I saw him take out a huge paper bag. I did not know how to react, so I took a peep and found a stuffed reindeer. Immediately, I felt bad because I never got him anything for Christmas. Why would I even think of getting him something? Most of all, why did he?

After they left, I stepped into my car and sat there, unmoving. My left hand voluntarily took out the reindeer and I hugged it. I turned the keys and the radio came on with a woman singing "I have died everyday waiting for you..." I found out much later that this was A Thousand Years by Christina Perri. Such a beautiful sad song for a lame-ass movie.

There is a reason why couples break up and I will always hold on to that reason regardless.

But hor, damn cute lah the reindeer! I didn't even know its legs are extendable until I got home and Maya instantly thought I bought her a new toy.

Thank you Teacher :)

1 comment: